Kihikihi School - Learners today, Leaders tomorrow - He tangata ako, he whānau ako

Our Place, the Whenua, our Whānau 

 
We see ourselves as a culturally rich school.  We are steeped in the history of the land around us.  Pirongia is to the West, Te Kawa and Kakepuku to the South.  The Puniu is our awa and Ngati Maniapoto the iwi.  We are also flanked by Waikato, Ngati Apakura and Ngati Raukawa.
 
We are situated in the township of Kihikihi.  A town in its own right, separate to the much larger town to the north, Te Awamutu.  Kihikihi as a town was here before Te Awamutu and originally larger.  However, we are happy being their neighbours.  The current population is approximately 2000 inhabitants.
 
The school was first established in 1873 near the Bowling Green in Kihikihi. Then in 1884 the school was resited on the current land where it sits framed by Whitmore, Whitaker and Oliver Streets. In 1938 the school burnt down.  For a period of time children learnt in the town hall and then in marquees on the school site.  Then from 1939 until the new six room school was built at Kihikihi in 1952, all children of the district traveled by bus to Te Awamutu to attend school.
 
For many years in the latter 1900s the school roll was an even mix of Māori and Pākeha tamariki, with a large number of our tamariki from farming backgrounds.
The number of children from farms declined rapidly from the early 2000s to the point that we now have only a few children from rural backgrounds.  Students come predominantly  from Kihikihi, Te Awamutu, Te Mawhai, Te Kawa, Waikeria and Parawera areas.
 
One of the great Tupuna of the area resided in the locality for a number of years in his later life.  This was Rewi Maniapoto, who led local people, aided by others in the fight to retain land in this area.  This resulted in the sadly remembered events at Rangiaowhia and then culminated in the battle at Ōrakau, only a short distance to the east of Kihikihi.